Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Family Portrait

We have a family friend who is a very talented photographer. After visiting us this fall, she asked me to write a paragraph about each part of our family for a gift she was putting together for my in-laws. She compiled many beautiful quotes, my words, and several of our best shots in a book for them to enjoy when we're apart. I know my husbands parents were thrilled with the result! I thought I might save my contribution here, for a rainy day when I may need reminding how things looked to me in 2008.


Kuni and I

Married April 2005


At our wedding, we smashed, absolutely SMASHED cake into each others faces. And then we laughed. I think maybe we needed a bit of a release, maybe we were a bit overwhelmed by the beauty of the day. That tends to be our basic M.O. When things are starting to get too crazy, for whatever reason, we hang in there until one of us finds, or makes, something to laugh about. It’s what keeps us current, it’s something that makes us authentic, and it’s one of my favorite things about us.


Curly Sue

Born August 2006


A while ago, I took a moment to chat on the phone while our little whirlwind ate lunch. My conversation was soon interrupted by a tiny voice and two pudgy hands waving a mostly empty plate in the air and sweetly exclaiming, “Mommy, mommy! I need sa’more---I’m enjoying this!” All this was accompanied by a big, messy, grin. And in that moment, I experienced Curly in a nutshell: intelligent, articulate, gracious, and ever enthusiastic. Infectiously so, in fact.


Little Lou

Born August 2008


Our Lou is new, and lovely, and beautiful. And she has brought with her this comfortable, contented spirit. Her activities are basic: eat, sleep, smile, wiggle, etc. There is nothing remarkable about them except for her approach: so patient, so optimistic, so something akin to mature. In a word, she is fresh; a change of pace. And a perfect addition to our family rhythm that has made us something new all over again.

3 comments:

Liz said...

just wanted you to know that i am reading this and loving it. you write so well and i think i'm a little more prepared for this baby boy #2...if it's possible.

reens said...

jennie. i've wanted to tell you forever that i love, i LOVE reading every word that you write. you capture moments so perfectly. mom, dad & i have mentioned it countless times - you're such a talented writer. you're also an amazing mother. we're so glad you found dustin & we're so happy for the family the both of you are raising. you are a priceless addition to our family. love you. rxxxxx

Jennie said...

Wow, you guys, you make me blush! I love you too....and thanks!