Thursday, March 19, 2009

For Mom

My mom hit a chronological milestone this week and her family threw her a party. I was miles away but I sent this little blurb along so she knew I was celebrating too:

Mom is a lot of things to me. My mother. My teacher. My friend. Fresh flowers on the table, warm meals in pretty serving dishes, the welcome escape of a good read; all remind me of her. A few years ago, Mom and I spent a weekend in Southern Utah, just the two of us. I don't remember exactly how old I was, or what official entertainment we had planned. But I will always remember chilling out in the sauna while we waited for that forgotten main event. In true Diane fashion, Mom had made a trip to the library beforehand and brought plenty of books along with us. Somehow she talked me into reading Irma Bombeck aloud.....and we must of read half of it in there, melting right off the benches and totally busting a gut! Maybe I remember that because we stayed in there forever. Maybe I remember 'cause it got so hot I thought my acrylic french-tip nails were going to explode right off my fingers. But mostly I think I remember because of the way Mom's laugh filled the hot box and sweetened the air. I love Mom's laugh. It's rich and sincere. And it, like the way she's always learning, or the way she loves to share, is a constant about her. It's one of the many details that gives her such life. And one of the many ways she will stay forever young.

Happy Birthday Mama! I love you.

No comments: