Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reverting a Little

When I was a little girl my Dad's job required him to travel quite a bit. My actual memories of this are pretty much limited to the following:

a) My mom and I would have a sleep-over in my parents water-bed. Wrapped in a nest of blankets and pillows while still afloat on a friendly sea. I have vague recollections of wiggling while half asleep to keep the bed rolling. I think my love of the ocean is somehow tied to this. If that wasn't enough, I also often got to watch a movie to boot.

b) Dad would bring home gifts for all his kids, and come to think of it, probably my mom too. One time I got a Hershey bar from the factory in Pennsylvania. It was about the size of my current computer monitor.

c) I missed him lots. Do you remember the song from "American Tale"? Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moon sky, Some one's thinking of me, and loving me to-night I remember staying awake long after the movie had run out and Mom's regimen of stories and songs had been exhausted. Aching for my Daddy and singing myself to sleep like Fivel Mouskewitz in his makeshift bed. For whatever reason, that's the only song that ever helped.

The last few nights a piece of me has slipped back a bit to that little girl. I miss my Dad. And that piece of me is still singing the same old song. And some where out there, if love can see us through, Then we'll be together, Somewhere out there, out where dreams come true. Same as every time before, and valid as ever.

Love you Daddy.

2 comments:

christycunn1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christycunn1 said...

What a wonderful entry for your dad.
It is too bad that every little girl can't have the same relationship that you had with your dad when you were growing up. I think your dad had a knack for making you feel like his little princess. What would this world be like if every girl had memories of her daddy sending her flowers? I think it would cure the world of what ails it. Just reading this entry made me miss my dad!